VILNIUS SCHOOL OF ABRAOMAS KULVIETIS
<...>Abraomas Kulvietis (1510? – 1545) who had had gained his university degrees abroad established in Vilnius in 1539 a grammar school where “the seven liberal arts” were to be taught. The school had 60 pupils and several teachers. Since many subjects here were being taught in the spirit of Protestantism, the Bishop of Vilnius brought an action against its headmaster. The Grand Duke (he was also King of Poland) ordered Kulvietis to appear before the ecclesiastical court. To avoid danger Kulvietis and his followers left Vilnius for Prussia which was ruled by Duke Albrecht von Brandenburg, the last grand master of the Teutonic Order. In 1525 Albrecht accepted Lutheranism and declared himself a secular ruler. A great portion of Lithuanian lands which had been conquered by the Teutonic Order in the 13th and 14th centuries at that time were under his rule. The conversion to Protestantism and the secularization of the state required a considerable number of educated men. In 1541 the Duke of Prussia founded the so-called Particular School which he later intended to transform into a university. Here the rector’s duties were performed by the Vice-Rector Kulvietis.
On the arrival of the Lithuanian Stanislovas Rapolionis (c. 1485 – 1545) and some other learned men from Vilnius on July 20, 1544 Albrecht granted a charter to what was to be Königsberg University. At the beginning there were about 200 students and quite a number of Lithuanians among them who had moved to Königsberg in the wake of religious persecution<...>
In: A SHORT HISTORY OF VILNIUS UNIVERSITY – Vilnius: Mokslas Publishers, 1979, p.12.